Thursday 22 November 2012

Promised Irish tidbits!

I've spent some time thinking of juicy Irish tidbits to share with you.  To start, I'd like to pass on this picture which I quickly snapped while going downtown on the city bus one day.
Yes that would be a pony, in the middle of the street, clearly on the loose judging by the lead hanging from its halter.  I have a feeling this scenario is more common than you might imagine in Irish cities. I had a good laugh because no matter where I am, whether at home in Ontario, at school in Brandon, or living in Ireland, I can never seem to escape agriculture.

My second tidbit is indeed a fascinating one!  Over coffee one day, my classmates were informing me that red-headed people are slowly breeding out their ginger genetic traits because red hair is a recessive gene.  According to online articles, the unfortunate red-headed kind only have about 100 years left to prosper! (http://www.news.com.au/top-stories/gingers-extinct-in-100-years-say-scientists/story-e6frfkp9-1111114243424).  I recommend that you warn all the Gingers you know as soon as possible. I've already notified my cousins.

I also want to share some tidbits about the Irish accent and diction, because I have not touched on the topic for awhile in my blogs.  One of the most common words around is "Grand" which ranges in meaning from fabulous to downright awful.  Also dangerously similar to "grand" is "fine."  Much like in North America, if someone says they are fine, they could be perfectly happy or inches away from a fistfight.  My class has had some good laughs over these words because they turn up in many Monday morning greetings.

In terms of pronunciation I've found it interesting that words such as appreciate or negotiate have a "see" (appre-see-ate/ nego-see-ate) sound rather a "shee" sound like I would use.  I've come to identify with different terminology as well.  Cell phone are mobiles, and sweaters are jumpers.  There is no such thing as a city "block" and zucchinis are referred to by their French title Courgettes.  Confusingly, chips are called crisps because chips are really french fries.  Don't even bother mentioning toques because you only get blank stares.  I believe warm headgear is called a beanie or simply a hat over here.  I am pretty proud that I have convinced my Greek roommate to call them toques instead.

My life is still school-focused at the moment with only two weeks left before all my written assignments are due.  I should have another blog for you soon.  I hope to report on how Irish I have become over the past three months.

Happy Thanksgiving to American readers,
Shannon


1 comment:


  1. Glad you just can't escape those agricultural roots!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts about my blog. If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them! Please try to leave your name.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.