Friday 28 September 2012

A wee bit about my course

With all the excitement of new places, sights and culture, I realized I need to further explain the main reason why I am in Ireland. And no I'm not referring to "pub-literacy," I mean my Masters program!  Now that I am a few weeks into the MA in Community Music (I'll call it CM) program I have a better understanding of what I'll be learning this year and I am truly excited.  It is going to be both educational and lots of fun.

The CM degree at University of Limerick is set up to accommodate students from a huge variety of backgrounds.  In my class alone we have a flute player from Texas, Chinese traditional vocalist, blues guitarist/drummer, traditional Irish singer/songwriter, a vocalist/synthesizer player, and a pianist with a music education degree.  We have full days of class-time on Monday and Tuesday, and half-days on Wednesday.  This scheduling provides convenience for students who are commuting long distances, or have a job or family.

CM is a diverse field, comprising all ages, ethnicities, music genres and settings. My course reflects this diversity in its structure.  Each week we receive a different lecturer, many of whom are professors, acting community musicians and/or previous graduates of our course. In this manner, we observe a variety of teaching styles from which we can build our own individual "tool box" of workshop skills.

Much of this first term is dedicated to acquiring and practicing creative workshop techniques.  So far we have had lectures in workshop activities for all ages, children's songs, presentation skills, group composing, and improvisation.  Over the rest of term we are scheduled to explore song-writing, African Tribal drumming, Gamelan (Indonesian percussion), Samba drumming, and Kodaly method (solfege).  In addition, I get to take fiddling as an elective and I can hardly wait for my lessons to begin next week!

I am really looking forward to a weekend in November when we receive masterclasses and workshops with the Venezuelan El Sistema Percussion Ensemble.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with the El Sistema program, it is an after-school youth music program in Venezuela which has been the inspiration for CM initiatives all over the world.  El Sistema has enriched the lives of many Venezuelan youth, and has produced musicians such as Gustavo Dudamel, the conductor of the Los Angeles Philharmonic.  If you have a chance, watch the following YouTube clip about the program: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=276oR_tEmbs.

Our assignments for the term include a research paper, case study on a real-life CM program, in-class workshops and a group ensemble performance.  Every Wednesday we have three hours dedicated to rehearsal for our term-end performance in which we can compose, improvise, play and experiment as a group.  The performance is supposed to showcase our own interpretation of CM and the rehearsals help teach us how to work more effectively in a group setting.  In the second school term our class will focus more on the business aspects of CM, and will include a work placement with a program in Limerick.

What I love most about my program so far is that it fosters creativity and encourages participation.  The program has already inspired me musically; I find myself humming more often and am more interested in world music.  In class I am less nervous to "get creative" in front of my peers because we have established a safe environment where musical risks are encouraged.  Most importantly I am learning how to create similar settings for others so that they can experience music in the same appreciative way.

Outside of school I am involved in an amazing variety of musical activities, which I will tell you about another time.  I am heading to the city of Cork this weekend with one of my "flat-mates" so stay tuned for posts about my trip!

Bye for now,
Shannon

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shannon...
    It is incredible for me to hear you talk like a teacher... much of the language you use in your blog, is used in the Ontario curriculum. Perhaps this means... you were born to teach like Grandma... just sayin!!! Love that you are fiddling around too!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts about my blog. If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them! Please try to leave your name.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.