Wednesday 5 September 2012

First Impressions Last the Longest

It is always said that first impressions are the ones that last the longest, and my first few days in Ireland did not disappoint. First, Ireland really is green. There is a depth to the colour that is lacking even in Canada. The grass is richer and the leaves on the trees are much darker. The Irish people show great friendliness, such as the residence staff who insisted on coming to my room to personally put on my borrowed bed-sheets.

My first views of Ireland were of Dublin while on the bus-ride to Limerick. I was struck by Dublin's large extremes in architecture. There were older buildings, some of which were in disrepair, and newer buildings which were usually glass-fronted and quite large. White modernistic bridges contrast the man-made stone canal they cross.

The differences in architecture are (in my opinion) humourously mirrored in the trees which grow on Irish farmland. They are either short and bushy, or massively tall and majestic - there isn't much middle ground. Many of the smaller trees are part of fence lines because the Irish commonly use stone or hedges for fencing rather than wire. I was surprised by the large amount of dairy and beef cattle I saw because I had been expecting more sheep. One of my roommates, who is from Dublin, says that there are more sheep to the west where the land is less fertile.

Also an interesting side note for farmers in the crowd: Ireland has a dairy quota system much like Canada's, but it will be abolished in 2015.  The "Irish Times" reported this past May that the end of the dairy quota has the potential to create 15,000 new jobs up and down the supply chain because production will no longer be fixed (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0523/1224316551310.html).

As expected, language is one of the most interesting changes from Canada. I've discovered that the "correct" Irish accent does not pronounce the "th" sound. For example I do not live in "Thomond Village," I live in "Tomond Village." The Irish also have different phrases which can sometimes catch you off guard, such as when the Irish wish to help you, say at a registration desk, they'll say "Are you Okay?" The first time this happened I immediately thought something was wrong with my face. I started wondering if I looked awful or maybe ill ... I thought I was okay, but was I?? I spent a good time after wondering if indeed I was alright.

There are still many observations to share, so check for more updates in the next few days. I have course orientation on Friday and plan to share some pictures of the gorgeous campus. 

Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts about my blog. If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them! Please try to leave your name.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.