Thursday 11 October 2012

Gambling with Gamelan in "Gameland"

Well the last few days at school were jam-packed with my first experience playing Gamelan music.  Gamelan (Gam-uh-lan) is a traditional percussion ensemble from Indonesia, with ensembles unique to both Java and Bali.  The particular set of instruments we used in class was originally crafted in central Java for the Soundscape Music Program in Galway, Ireland.  Our instructor and previous graduate of my course, John Reynolds, commissioned the instruments ten years ago and has been running community music programs in Ireland ever since.

The instruments themselves are beautifully hand-crafted from wood and copper.  The detail in the carving and painting is exquisite.  The instruments involved are mostly metallophones (xylophone-like instruments with metal keys) to be struck with mallets, but there are also gongs and drums.  The tuning system is based around five notes and most instruments need to dampened after being played because of their long resonance.  Each individual Gamelan set is uniquely tuned so that it is unlike any other.  Therefore you cannot mix instruments between sets because the pitches will not match.  Here are some pictures:






Gamelan music is based on number patterns, with each number corresponding to a note in the scale.  Learning Gamelan required a fair amount of concentration, which really wore my class out by the end of the day.  Hence we came up with funny sayings like "Gambling on Gamelan in Gameland."  I really loved the experience and hope to one day see true Gamelan in Indonesia!  If you are interested in what Gamelan music sounds like check out this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxjDovw-47U.  It is a version of Eling Eling Banyumasan, a village dance piece which we learned (minus the vocalist).

In addition to playing, we watched videos on Indonesian dancing, discussed the elaborate Javanese shadow puppet show called Wayang kulit, told the story of Ramayana with the help of Gamelan sound effects, and dressed up in traditional Indonesian garb.

 Trying my hand at peking, which plays twice as fast as the other sarons (seen in background).

Probably my favourite instrument, the kenongs.  I felt like I was playing an Indonesian drum kit.
 

Yes, I am in a Master's program and I get to dress up!
 
Stay tuned for more in the near future.
Cheers!
 
Shannon


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts about my blog. If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them! Please try to leave your name.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.