Sunday 7 October 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends! As you sit down to savour your turkey, stuffing, cranberries and mashed potatoes, please take a moment to remember to eat an extra piece of pumpkin pie for me.  My mouth is sadly watering just thinking about what I'm missing.

Although there is no Thanksgiving to celebrate here, there are some plus sides to being in Ireland.  Mainly, it has not snowed like at home!  Snow in Ireland is very unlikely, though not impossible.  Currently the leaves are turning colour, but the grass is still lush green.  Sounds like the grass will stay that way all winter.  The temperature is in the low teens during the day, and although it drops lower at night we have yet to receive a frost.

The benefit of the lower temperature is that finally campus seems less overrun by slugs.  I don't think I've mentioned these little "friends of the sidewalk" before, so let me please enlighten you.  I believe that the moist Irish climate is similar to that of coastal British Columbia, and therefore they share the common element of slugs.  These little guys love to slime their way out onto the sidewalks in the early morning when the ground is damp and the pavement has yet to warm up from the sun.  Logically they create a pretty burdensome walking hazard.  You frequently see them squished with their yellow innards sticking out, and they can make a pretty big mess considering I've seen them up to 3 inches in length.  I do not recall stepping on any myself, but I'm sort of haunted by the idea that I did unknowingly.  Perhaps the most disturbing part is their cannibalistic tendencies.  I'll find two or three slugs clustered around the body of one of their comrades... considering their lack of human characteristics I find it hard to believe they are mourning.

Along with the arrival of fall came my usual "back-to-school" cold (with Greek partying being the catalyst I believe!). I was lucky enough to learn a good tip for colds from a bartender at a campus pub - hot whiskey is a sure-fire way to beat the chills and clear sinuses.  It is a combination of Irish whiskey, hot water, sugar, lemon and cloves. Absolutely delicious, I highly recommend it!

The last thing I'll mention is that I had my first fiddle lesson this week!  My tutor is Siobhan Peoples, and she is really patient and encouraging.  I'm going to learn tunes by ear which is a real challenge for me.  Siobhan was giving me tips on how to not sound like a classical violinist, such as don't really use vibrato or don't overdue slides.  I'm really looking forward to lessons for the rest of the semester.  If you want to here Siobhan play, check out this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qAH2ravRrU

Enjoy your holiday weekend!

Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts about my blog. If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them! Please try to leave your name.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.