Thursday 14 March 2013

Bobby McFerrin live in Dublin

Last week I had the amazing opportunity to see  world-famous vocal improviser, Bobby McFerrin, live in concert at the National Concert Hall in Dublin. If you are unfamiliar with Bobby McFerrin, drop everything you are doing right now and check him out on Youtube! He does some incredible techniques with his voice and his creativity is awe-inspiring. Here is a link to his rendition of "My Favourite Things": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wqplKtzWpI

I went with two classmates and as we readily expected the concert was spectacular. Bobby was joined on stage by a dancer and two Irish music groups: one a traditional Irish music band, and the other a Mediterranean/Middle Eastern flavoured quartet. The concert lasted for an uninterrupted hour and a half, and when it ended it felt like it should have been intermission. The entire performance was improvised, save for a few tunes from the Irish bands' own repertoire, which Bobby then improvised overtop. Highlights included the call and response duet sang between Bobby and a member of the audience, and Bobby's "tap-dancing" which involved making the tap sounds with his mouth as he moved his feet.

I have a couple photos to share which are unfortunately poor quality, but at least prove I was there. We had been sitting in the choir balcony, so the first photo looks out over the stage towards the audience of the National Concert Hall. In the second photo you can see Bobby sitting near the edge of the stage.





















Our evening in Dublin would not have been complete without going out for a few drinks after the concert. As things turned out I was lucky enough to see another show that evening: a Drag Queen Show! I had never seen a drag queen show before and I was amazed at the artistry and skill put into costumes and choreography. The ladies were dancing all over the stage just like Beyoncé or Lady Gaga. There was also a Drag King (female dressed as male) who would join the Queens to rap. As an embarrassingly noticeable tourist I of course took pictures.

I would like to introduce you to:

Miss Victoria Secret!
 
Devina Divine and her two identical twin dancers, who were incredibly well coordinated. I took a picture with one of them and discovered they were covered in body oil to appear glistening.

 Lady of the hour, Devina Divine, after yet another costume change (she had at least four).
 
The best thing about life is that you never know what is around the corner. I went to Dublin expecting one great show and came away with two! I wonder what new thing I'll experience next.
 
 
Enjoy St Patty's this weekend! I'll be blogging about mine next week.
Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts about my blog. If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them! Please try to leave your name.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.