Saturday 23 March 2013

Spring Enters with Vengeance!

Ireland welcomed spring with a wild rainstorm. All of Thursday we had whipping winds that were strong enough for the residence administration to ask residents not to open windows. In late afternoon the rain started coming down and it lasted all evening. The next morning it was still drizzling as I ran to the gym and I was not surprised to see that the University banners attached to the  lampposts had been ripped from their frames. Ireland came out somewhat lucky in this storm however. Apparently Northern Ireland and most of the United Kingdom have had snowstorms or are still under the risk of flooding.

I suppose this weather is rather predictable by now, but remarkably we did have a relatively dry stretch for four weeks during February and March. I was somehow hoping this trend would continue, but alas as the temperature warms, the rain falls. The last few weeks have seen the sprouting of Daffodils on the sides of Irish roads. I've been very tempted to pick some, but am not sure if that is allowed and haven't risked it because I'm always walking along busy roads. I've had my eyes open for budding leaves on the trees, but no sign yet.

I'm hoping the weather clears up quickly because tomorrow I am heading off to Scotland for a week as it is Easter holidays at the University. I am thrilled that I'll be joined by my parents who have taken the trip overseas to visit me as well as other relatives. It's now been seven months since I last saw them in person so I cannot think of a nicer way to spend my Easter. As an additional bonus, the three of us will be returning to Ireland in time to pick up my sister who will be flying in from Australia. We will be having a intimate Darby family reunion in Limerick for a few days!

Unfortunately after this special break, I will really have to crack down on my schoolwork until the end of the semester. Similar to last term, all my assignments are due on one day in May. Currently I am all wrapped up in community music ideas for several business assignments, and soon I'll be crunching numbers to see if I'll ever make any money. Concurrently, I am managing my work placements, preparing for the research paper I need to write over summer and still working away at fiddle. Of course I am always planning my next adventure as well! Last month I purchased a ticket to Glastonbury Festival in June and am in discussions with a friend about a trip to Spain.

Wishing everyone a happy Easter!
Shannon

1 comment:

  1. Super Jealous... we are still swimming in snow half way up my patio doors! The weather is warmer though... so here's to hoping the big melt is underway! Mother Nature has not been kind to Tuesday's BCO rehearsals... it's been three weeks since our last one and we are all coming into it really rusty! What are your plans for September? Have a great Easter with the Family! XO

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts about my blog. If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them! Please try to leave your name.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.