Sunday 14 April 2013

Sea and Saints

After our visit to Scotland, my parents and I had made plans to visit our relatives in Northern Ireland then drive the west coast back to Limerick. From Edinburgh we caught a bus to the small coastal town of Cairnryan and boarded the large Stena Line ferry to Belfast. It's the first time I had been on a boat that big and I was impressed by the luxuriousness of the interior. I believe there was even a spa onboard somewhere. My Dad and I braved the wind to visit to the top deck. Here is a picture of me on the deck and in the distance you can see a Stena ferry heading the opposite direction.


Once we arrived in Northern Ireland, we spent a couple days in County Down seeing sights and visiting family. As our relatives live not far from the coast, we were treated to lovely views of the sea and one refreshing morning walk on the beach.

This is the Strangford harbour, named by Viking settlers who called it "strong fjord."
 
 These pictures above and below are of Ballyhornan beach. Note the Bassethound posing below; that's Ben, the slobbery character who greets you upon arrival at my relatives.
 
County Down is the first place Saint Patrick settled when he came to Ireland on his missionary work. Did you know that as a 16 year old, Saint Patrick had been kidnapped from his home in Britain and taken to Ireland as a slave? He managed to escape to France after six years of slavery, but in 432 he was drawn back to Ireland to spread Christianity. There are many landmarks tied to St Patrick in Down County, including the Struell Wells. These flowing wells have historically been a sight of congregation as it was believed their water had healing powers. St Patrick is said to have visited here, but the importance of these wells date back much farther to Pagan times.
 
 
There are a few small stone buildings on the Struell sights constructed as bath houses for men and women. Inside you could find flowing taps pictured below.
 

The nearby city of Downpatrick is a central location for all things related to the Saint, mainly because he is buried  in the grounds of its cathedral. We visited the grave and the nearby interpretative center. St Patrick is buried with two others Saints, and his gravestone is a humble, simple boulder with his name carved in the top.


Downpatrick Cathedral was built on a hill slightly raised above the level of the town. This height provides advantageous views of the distant Mourn Mountains, assuming you are lucky enough to have clear skies like we did.

If one thing is for certain, this trip has really helped me discover mountains which I never realized existed before. First it was the Highlands, then the Mourns, and that's not the last either. Just wait till I share my photos from the west coast!


Sending warm thoughts to those still trapped in snow!
Shannon



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts about my blog. If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them! Please try to leave your name.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.