Monday 1 April 2013

Our Surprise Irish Adventure!

For the past week, my parents and I have been madly adventuring around Scotland and Ireland, meeting family and seeing sights.  We have had some amazing experiences and I have not had any time to blog. However, we had the most surprising afternoon yesterday and I just had to take the time to pass on our experience. We're leaving in half an hour to drive south to Limerick, so I do not have time to attach my pictures. I'll add them to another blog when I have time.

Yesterday, we were driving on a small Irish highway outside of Sligo after investigating the small home town of some of our ancestors. As we were driving, we were forced to a stop because of a mass of sheep that was blocking the road as they were moved into a nearby pen; a true Irish sight!  My father, always the true farmer, happily jumped out of the car to volunteer our assistance to the young farmer. The farmer was a young man about my age, and introduced himself as Donald. The four of us spread out across the road and chased the sheep towards the pen. They were rounding nicely into the new paddock and I went to jump the ditch to follow. Guess my luck, I didn't quite make it! Tripped on my way, and landed with my knees and hands in the muck along the end of the ditch. I was a mess with soaked, dirty jeans, and not a happy camper!

Though my parents found it humorous, Donald felt awful. He invited us to come to tea in his home so that I could somehow wash up.  This offer seemed the best alternative as I was too dirty to ride in our rental car. But then I quickly saw a difficulty in this situation, with no house in sight. If I could not ride in the car, how would I get to the house?? Well, imagine my excitement at being offered a ride in an Irish tractor... more like a major eye roll. But in I climbed, to share a tractor seat with young Donald. I suppose I didn't mind really. Although Donald had a shocking mop of red hair, he had the most charming hazel eyes.

We travelled about a mile and arrived at a tidy farmyard. When we walked into the farmhouse we were greeted with warm hospitality by the wrinkly face of a wiry, Irish grandmother.  Her name was Margaret and she reached the height of my shoulder. She laughed at my sorry state and bustled me off down a hall. After showing me where to wash my hands, she handed me a pair of thick woolen long-johns and stated she would put my jeans in the wash. I could have gotten some of my clothes from the car, but it didn't seem like I had much choice, so I changed into the long johns (which proved a bit itchy) before rejoining my parents in the kitchen.

Since we were going to be waiting for awhile, we were offered tea and freshly made scones with homemade jam. I joined Mom, Dad and Donald at the table, and much to our surprise little old Margaret marches over with a bottle of Irish Whiskey. With a grin on her face, she suggested "Just a wee drop to cut the Irish wind." Or at least I think that is what she said... Irish farmers are known for thick accent, and the fact she was missing three of her bottom teeth didn't help! At this point, Mom and I were in a state of disbelief, but again my father seemed happy enough because he enjoys a wee bit of whiskey now and then.

Well, we shared some wonderful stories (and farming tips) around the kitchen table as my clothes were washed. When Margaret got up to put things in the dryer, she asked Donald to show us "the wee lambs" in the barn. So we trekked out to the barn; I clunked along in a pair of Donald's extra-large "wellies" (rubber boots) because my running shoes had been thrown in the wash with my jeans. It was worth it though, because the little lambs were incredibly cute. I will definitely post pictures when I get a chance. There was one little lamb with a small black face that had been born that morning. In an act of generosity, Donald offered to name the little lamb Darby to honour our surprise visit to the farm.  So over the next few years there will be a sheep happily strolling over the Irish hills named after my family!

It was not so long after this that my clothes were dried, I had changed once more, and we were loaded back in the car to head to Westport where we were spending the night. What a remarkable experience we had with Margaret and Donald. A true example of warm Irish hospitality, and another great adventure story gained from taking the back country roads in Ireland!

April Fools ;)
Shannon

1 comment:

I'd love to hear your thoughts about my blog. If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them! Please try to leave your name.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.